10 Facts about New Haven & Winchester History
Our newly-launched history webpage is full of amazing photographs and interesting facts that you might not have known about New Haven, CT, Winchester Lofts or the Winchester Repeating Arms Company. Here‘s a teaser of some of the fascinating information, but you’ll have to explore the Winchester history page for more!
- New Haven was founded in 1638 by English Puritans.
- In 1759, the city planted 250 buttonwood and elm trees around New Haven – which led to its nickname, The Elm City.
- The Winchester Repeating Arms Company was once called the Volcanic Arms Company.
- In the late 1800’s, the name “Winchester” became known as a synonym for quality, service and craft.
- In 1900, Louis’ Lunch opened and created America’s first ever hamburger. (Bonus fact: Louis’ Lunch is one of the many must-try restaurants not far from Winchester Lofts!)
- Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana opened in 1925 and APIZZA was born.
- In 1988, The Winchester Repeating Arms Company Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Geronimo, Annie Oakley and John Wayne were among the many notable people who used Winchesters.
- In 2006, U.S. Repeating Arms announced it was closing its New Haven plant where the Winchesters had been produced.
- Years later, a team of dedicated and skilled developers had a vision to revitalize the building and create the oldest new apartments in New Haven: Winchester Lofts.
Discover more of the history behind the craft on our Winchester Lofts history page. Another bonus fact: Winchester Lofts is now leasing! Contact us at (866) 736-5770 or stop by our Temporary Leasing Center at 5 Science Park, New Haven, CT 06511 on Tuesdays or Thursdays from 8:30AM – 5:30PM.