5 Restaurants Under 5 Miles from Winchester Lofts
Warning: this blog post may cause hunger.
Whether you prefer to travel by foot, bike, bus or car – Winchester Lofts is conveniently located in Science Park, just minutes from all sorts of delicious New Haven restaurants! We thought it would be helpful to recommend five of our favorites, all under five miles of our New Haven apartments. You can further explore the area around our property on the Winchester Lofts Neighborhood webpage which has an interactive map of New Haven, allowing you to see where we are located and all of the artisan adventures surrounding us.
Anyway, let’s get to the delicious details. Check out these five restaurants and let us know if you’ve given them a try yet or if you plan to anytime soon!
1. Caseus– If you’re a cheese-lover, you’ve got to head to Caseus! This cheese shop has more than 100 artisanal cheeses available from local farms and all throughout the United States and Europe. But don’t worry, they don’t stop at charcuterie and cheese boards. Caseus has a seasonal menu that features grilled cheese, mac & cheese, onion soup gratin and much more.
They are open Monday – Saturday for lunch and Wednesday – Saturday for dinner. Reservations are recommended for this little gem since the bistro area is small and very popular.
93 Whitney Avenue, New Haven, CT 06510
2. Maison Mathis –Whether you’re looking for a superbly roasted coffee with a side of Belgian waffles or a refreshing Belgian beer and a fresh salad, soup or sandwich – Maison Mathis has you covered any time of the day. Their menu reflects the best that the Belgian food culture has to offer – think traditionally prepared all-time classic dishes, delicious pastries, chocolates and daily breads, home-baked on the premises…is your mouth watering yet?
Maison Mathis is open Monday – Friday 7am-10pm, and Saturday and Sunday 8am-10pm.
304 Elm Street, New Haven, CT 06511
3. Louis’ Lunch– You haven’t had a burger until you’ve had one from Louis Lunch, that we can promise you. After all, Louis’ Lunch is the home of the first hamburger ever served (around 1900). Their burgers are made fresh daily; hand-rolled from a proprietary blend of five meat varieties and cooked to order in the ORIGINAL cast-iron grills dating back to 1898. Do yourself a favor and take a trip to Louis’ original wood-clad dining room soon! But don’t forget to stop by an ATM on the way – they’re old school and only accept cash.
Louis’ Lunch is open Tuesday and Wednesday 11am-3:45pm and Thursday – Saturday 12pm- 2am. Closed on Sundays and Mondays.
263 Crown Street, New Haven, CT 06511
4. Frank Pepe Pizzeria Napoletana – Are you ready to die and go to pizza heaven? If not, do not enter Frank Pepe’s…seriously. Pepe’s is one of the oldest and best-known pizzerias in the United States. And once you have a bite of this coal-fired wonder you’ll understand why. According to The Daily Meal, Pepe’s White Clam Pizza is the #1 Pizza in America but you can’t go wrong with any of their pies. Do yourself a favor and indulge in some Pepe’s pizza ASAP!
They’re open every day from 11am-10pm.
157 Wooster Street, New Haven, CT 06511
5. Geronimo – We’re finishing off the list with a stiff drink, folks. If you’re a tequila fan you’ve GOT to check out Geronimo. It’s no wonder they’re home to award-winning drinks…they’ve got the largest collection of tequila on the East Coast! And their authentic Santa Fe cuisine is equally as delicious as the booze. Many modern eateries claim to be “fusion” but Geronimo is 100% Southwestern – arguably the original fusion cuisine. Legend has it that infamous Apache rebel, Geronimo, is currently resting somewhere in New Haven (which is where they got the name).
Geronimo is open Monday – Thursday from 12pm-11pm, Friday 12pm-1:30am, Saturday 4pm- 12am and Sunday 4pm-11pm.
271 Crown Street, New Haven, CT 06511
Be on the lookout for the Winchester Lofts Artisanal Retail Guidebook that we are currently working on, featuring most of the restaurants listed above and more! In the meantime, don’t forget to check out the neighborhood around Winchester Lofts.